A cup of blueberries a day….will do wonders for your health!
July is marked as “National Blueberry’s Month” because it’s at the peak of its harvest. Blueberries are not only the perfect summer fruit but they are also extremely healthy. In the US blueberries are ranked second (after strawberry’s) as the most popular berry. It is important to add blueberry’s into your diet as much as you can for many reasons. I figured I would share with you some reasons why they are such an essential fruit.
- Blueberries have one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits. Antioxidants are essential to optimizing health; they help to combat free radicals that can damage cellular structures.
- They help with your nervous system, brain health, soften skin and also improve memory!
- One cup of blueberry’s delivers 14% of the recommended daily dose of fiber AND a quarter of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C.
- Blueberries are very low in calories- fewer than 90 for a full cup.
- Blueberries contain compounds that prevent bacteria from going into the bladder walls which helps to prevents urinary tract infections.
As you can see there are plenty of reasons to add blueberries to your weekly diet! Be creative- add them to your ice cream, smoothie, water, or just have a fresh cup full!